Monday, October 24, 2011

#6 Communication & Ethics

Looking at my own communication skills, I consider myself, naturally, more of an unassertive communicator.  I can see that I don't put myself out there often unless I need to.  When I speak in front of people I have no problem being assertive but when I am in a group, like a brainstorming group, then I usually take the back seat.  When I took the listening self-assessment, I scored a 67.  That is above the average of 61.  After looking through the questions, I saw that when emotions are a part of listening, I don not score as well.  If I am able to focus over emotions, then I would be able to listen better.  That is important especially during high stress situations.
An ethical dilemma that I had was there was a leader in the group that I was involved in and that person didn't want to be the leader anymore.  I didn't know if I should tell that person to step down or encourage them to keep going even when they didn't want to.  If I worked through this dilemma using the ends-based thinking, I would want to tell this person to step down.  I would see that it would do more damage if this person stayed leading then if they kept going.  I would most likely tell the person to step down regardless if they wanted to do it then or not.  Though this could cause some damage between relationships.
What I actually used was more of the care-based thinking.  I ended up just talking with this person on a regular basis and made sure they knew what was going on and what the consequences are to what their lack of passion was doing.  This person stepped down on their own and it kept a good relationship with everyone who was involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment