Monday, October 3, 2011

#3 The Group


a.      Everyone has experienced moments in their lives when they felt excluded from a group. Think about an experience when you felt like an outsider. What made you feel that way? Did someone help you to become part of the group? If so, how did they do this? If not, what would have helped you feel like you belong (belonged)?

A time where I felt excluded from a group was my freshman year of football.  Why I felt like that was because I was placed as the first string middle linebacker and then I was moved from that spot a week later to a guy who just joined the team because the coach wanted him to.  All of the starters knew each other from middle school and I didn't.  The coaches knew them all as well.  I never had the chance to get to know them before so it closed me out from the group.  I never became a part of that "group" but many of the 2nd and 3rd string guys hung out with me.  So we all naturally talked and I felt a part of that group.  The team didn't act as a whole but I'm glad I was a part of the team in that way rather than with the starters.

b.      Think about an organization you are in (or have been in). What knowledge, attitudes, values, and skills were necessary for an individual to achieve success in that organization? What knowledge, attitudes, values, and skills were necessary for organizational success? 

In student life, it is important that you have a heart for community and people.  It is important that your attitude is positive and encouraging, as well as challenging to the students.  You have to have a vision and a plan for what you want to do.  You should have at least a basic foundation of biblical knowledge.  This organization is built off of teamwork.  You have to be accountable and responsible.  You have to be flexible and want to work with a team.  You have to get to know who you are working with.  You have to be timely.  But most of all you have to love the Lord with all of your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment